Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Strawberry-Almond Smoothie


Tonight at 5pm I did my same little 5 o'clock routine.  Turned off computer? Check.  Turned on the volume on my phone? Check.  Packed up the backpack? Check.

The last thing I do before leaving the office... the frigid, oh-you-of-few-windows office... is take a glance out the one window available to me (in my boss' office) and see what's going on outside. Of course, it's just like packing in January for the Bahamas (not that I have any personal experience of that): it's extremely difficult to make yourself pick out warm-weather clothes when your toes are numb.

So, seeing the waving trees and somewhat dimly lit exterior of the building, I concluded that it was cold and windy outside (the weather-man says rain!) and therefore my fancy new black trench coat belonged on my shoulders, around my waist, and up against my neck.

Walking down the hallway: cold.  Elevator ride down a floor: cold.  Stepping out into the cement cavern of a basement parking garage: cold.

I could only ride my bike one block before I had to stop.  Woah!  What's this?  The sun exists?  It was 75 degrees.

A brand new freezer in my apartment meant that those first-of-the-season strawberries I stashed earlier were solidly frozen by now... I think it's time to put them to use.  By the way, does anybody have the troublesome problem of going slightly batty when strawberries first appear at the market for less than an arm and a leg?  Anybody else out there who pounces on them, snapping up 3 packages for a household of 1?  Hence the freezer.

Strawberry-Almond Smoothie
handful of fresh mint leaves
1 c. frozen strawberry slices
1/2 c. almond milk (if using unsweetened, you might want to add honey to this)
1/3 c. plain Greek yogurt

Place the mint in the blender, followed by the strawberries.   Pour almond milk over and give it a few good whirls at high speed.  Add the yogurt to thicken as desired. 

Drink in the sunshine with a straw.

No comments:

Post a Comment