Thursday, October 14, 2010

IKEA Bars

Once again, the bars were gone before I had a chance to take a good picture!  I guess that just means they were tasty. 
I call these IKEA bars because I made them using a jar of Swedish lingonberry jam instead of the raspberry jam called for in the original recipe.  I also omitted the walnuts, even though I think they would have been fantastic, because the initial audience included a person who is allergic to nuts.  Boo.  They ended up going to my co-workers, who enjoy nuts in baked goods as much as I do, but that was not the original plan.
The base is a simple graham cracker and butter crust, and there is a strong relationship to magic bars since these incorporate sweetened condensed milk.  Overall, this recipe is too sweet for my taste (oh the adult day has finally come when those words can leave my mouth!), but I really love the idea of using jam in baking. I am the proud owner of a fabulous jar of prized huckleberry jam that I bought in McCall this summer, and I've been using it to top Greek yogurt and walnuts (very very good).  I'm not sure there's enough left to make a panful of anything with it, but I might be able to stretch it just enough to become something interesting.  We'll see.  I will, of course, let you know -pronto- if anything huckleberry-related occurs in my kitchen.
Eat well!
~Ri

No comments:

Post a Comment