Thursday, October 14, 2010

Mini Doughnuts

Tuesday did not go as planned.

At work, we had a mini-crisis with transaction processing in the financial system, and somehow we in the Budget Office ended up being the ones to fix it.  Not I.T.  Not Accounting. Us.  Oh, I forgot to mention that it's our fiscal year-end, and the fix was urgent because it was holding up an entire check batch.  In Accounting.

Very, very stressful morning, noon, and afternoon.  I had dropped off my car that morning to get the front brakes worked on, and so I had to leave to pick it up in the middle of the day.  Then I had to jet out early so I could go to an eye appointment at 3:30, where I was overcharged for the second year in a row on a procedure I firmly believe is not necessary, considering my old eye doctor never did it the whole time I went to him. 

After work and the eye appointment, I met up with some friends to go mountain biking in the foothills.  I bought my mountain bike just this past spring and I've never had it tuned, so I wasn't surprised that the hills were giving me trouble.  My gears didn't seem to be switching very well, and the climbs were just... hard.  I fell a few times and waited for traffic to pass, thinking I know my legs are sore from CrossFit yesterday, but come on, don't be such a wimp!  You've been biking before, you should be able to do this. By the time I caught up with Catherine and Yvette at the top of the hill, it was time for a rest.  I looked down at my back tire and it was almost completely flat.  Well no wonder!  We got some air in it with Yvette's little hand pump, and it was enough to get me within walking distance of a parking lot.  Yvette rode down to the car and came back to pick up my bike and give me a ride back to my apartment.  Mountain biking fail.

What is this blog about?  Baking?  Oh yeah.

SO.  Came home and Catherine and I ended up hanging out for the rest of the evening.  Our friend Suzanne had lent me her mini doughnut pan (I had future experimentation in mind... namely this), which was sitting on my table.  We both looked at it and had a great idea.  Homemade hot chocolate and doughnuts.  Success.  I have no pictures of the hot chocolate.  It was beautiful, though.  The doughnut recipe provided with the pan needs some tweaking.  The texture was light and fluffy, more like muffins than my idea of doughnuts.  I'm thinking of trying a pound cake recipe next, to get that dense cake doughnut feel.

Mini doughnuts with maple and Nutella glazes


Doughnuts (or plain muffins)
2 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 Tb. butter, melted, plus more for pan
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
Preheat oven to 325°. Brush doughnut pan with melted butter.  Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl.  Add butter, eggs, milk, vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon.  Stir just under blended. Fill each doughnut hole 1/2 to 2/3 full, no more. Bake 8 minutes and cool slightly before removing from pan.  Dip in glaze of choice (maple, Nutella, chocolate), or melted butter and cinnamon & sugar.
Makes 36 mini doughnuts.

Eat well!
~Ri

No comments:

Post a Comment